random numbers from user-defined distributions

  • To: mathgroup at yoda.physics.unc.edu
  • Subject: random numbers from user-defined distributions
  • From: msdrl!nachbar at uunet.uu.net (Dr. Robert B. Nachbar)
  • Date: Fri, 8 Jan 93 8:44:03 EDT

well, the response to my query was overwelming! eleven in all, and all
the same solution! since three of them were also sent to this mailing
list, i will not repeat the solution, but i do want to thank everyone
for their help for both the specific problem and the general case. one
of the respondants suggested the Handbook of Mathematical Functions,
chapter 26.8, ed. by M. Abramowitz and I. Stegun for further reading.
(this text is also cited by Roman Maeder in Programming in
Mathematica.) again, thanks for all the help!

bob
--
Dr. Robert B. Nachbar | Merck Research Laboratories | 908/594-7795
nachbar at msdrl.com     | R50S-100                    | 908/594-4224 FAX