Mathematica: should I move to Windows from X?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg3742] Mathematica: should I move to Windows from X?
  • From: reza at bme.jhu.edu (Reza Shadmehr)
  • Date: Sun, 14 Apr 1996 03:01:09 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello.

I've been using Mathematica for years now on a unix platform (Sun Sparcs)
and quite happy with it.  I've gotten used to generating my graphics and then
psfix-ing them and then using a postscript editor to fine tune it and get it
ready for publication.  I write my manuscripts in LaTex, so the graphics just
get inserted and print fine.

These days however, with the ever more powerful Pentiums out there, and the
fact that they keep getting cheaper and cheaper, I've been seriously thinking
about moving all my code to a Pentium Pro.  My students are starting to run
all their simulation software (not Mathematica, but Matlab) on the Pentiums
and they rave about its performance.  I'm beginning to think that maybe I
should move to a Pentium.

But I have a dilema.  I know nothing about stability of Mathematica on the
PC platform.  Also, what sort of graphics does Mathematics produce on the
PC?  Can it easily be edited using other software and then turned into
postscript?

I'd appreciate any advice from people who have made or thought about this
transition.

with thanks,

Reza Shadmehr
Johns Hopkins Medical School