Re: How to read in interactive data

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg4080] Re: How to read in interactive data
  • From: ianc (Ian Collier)
  • Date: Fri, 31 May 1996 01:35:18 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

In article <4oberp$na9 at dragonfly.wolfram.com>, rpiyaket at ucsd.edu (Ram
Piyaket) wrote:

> Hi there,
> I was wondering if anyone could tell me how to tell MMA to
> prompt for numeric input. I know that you can read in
> string with "InputString" command. What about numbers?
> Any help is greatly appreciated...
>
> Ram

The corresponding command for input of Mathematica expressions,
including numbers, is Input. The syntax is the same as for
InputString.

In[1]:=
    ?Input
    Input[ ] interactively reads in one Mathematica expression.
       Input["prompt"] requests input, using the specified string
       as a prompt.

In[2]:=
    ?InputString
    InputString[ ] interactively reads in a character string.
       InputString["prompt"] requests input, using the specified
       string as a prompt.

I hope this helps.

--Ian

Ian Collier