Re: Question PlotVectorField

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg5292] Re: [mg5257] Question PlotVectorField
  • From: Sherman Reed <Sherman.Reed at worldnet.att.net>
  • Date: Sat, 23 Nov 1996 01:44:35 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

At 08:34 AM 11/15/96 +0000, you wrote:

>Hello mathgroup !
>I am having problems with PlotVectorField, when trying to plot
>a simple field like the electric field of a point charge.
>
>f[x_,y_]:={x,y}/(x^2+y^2)^(3/2)
>
>When I set the option PlotPoints->8 , I get the plot, but for any value
>of PlotPoints > 8, the computer crashes completely.
>(The default value of PlotPoints is 15 !)
>I am running Mma. 2.2 under Windows 95 on a Pentium 100, 16 Mb Ram.
>
>Any suggestions, please?
>
>Thanks in advance.
>
>Sergio Terrazas
>Juarez, Mexico.

I have a Pent 166, 32 mb ram and am running 2.2.3 and 3.0 Mma.

Although it is not fast, both configurations run PlotVectorField without
complaining.  I used the following:

<<Graphics`PlotField`
f[x_,y_]:={x,y}/(x^2+y^2)^3/2
PlotVectorField[f[x,y],{x,-1,2},{y,1,-2}]

I tried other limits, but all seemed to work just fine.

Sherman C. Reed