  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg7070] Re: [mg7040] How to return the position of a multidimensional list ..
  • From: Allan Hayes <hay at haystack.demon.co.uk>
  • Date: Sat, 3 May 1997 22:04:59 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

cmchung at se.cuhk.edu.hk (Chung Cheong Ming)
[mg7040] How to return the position of a multidimensional list ..

>eg.  OuterList = {sublist1, sublist2, ...}
>
>I want to find where a sublist situates in the OuterList if I know
>the first 2 elements of this sublist.

Joseph:

OuterList = {{1,2,3},{2,1,3}};
Position[OuterList,{2,1,___}]

	{{2}}

If the sublists contain more complex elements you may need to limit
the search:

Position[OuterList,{2,1,___},
	{1}, (*level*),
 	Heads->False (*not inside heads*)