Re: Useful Dumb User Questions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9095] Re: Useful Dumb User Questions
  • From: "charles loboz" <charles at please.no.spam.syacus.acus.oz.au>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 23:33:11 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

You touch upon two different issues in your mail.

I totally agree with the first one - a shabby treatment of mma users by
wri, selling - very much needed - bug fix release as a significant upgrade.
I bought my 10 months ago for a full price and now they want 700 A$ for
3.0.1 upgrade. I think they have also some other off-putting problems.

I tend to disagree with you on the second issue - poor documentation. It
gets some time to get used to - but after that it is quite good. I even
started to appreciate the thick book - the mma manual. I think it is a bit
like UNIX documentation - once you are 'in' it is very good, concise and
precise. As to other books - they definitely vary in quality. I found 'mma
- a guide for physicists' (or something like that) a very good introductory
text - and there are other very good ones as well (Gray for example). For
real mma style programming my personal favourities are Meader and the
recent 'power programming - the kernel' - definitely worth the money.

In general I think there are many good books on mma - but all books on mma
are good.

Sergio Rojas <sergio at scisun.sci.ccny.cuny.edu> wrote in article
<61hsno$dbs at smc.vnet.net>...
<61cog3$4in at smc.vnet.net>...