Formatting Numbers in Output

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9093] Formatting Numbers in Output
  • From: "Russell A. Chipman" <chipmanr at email.uah.edu>
  • Date: Mon, 13 Oct 1997 23:33:09 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

How can I round numbers to a specified number of digits?  I want to cut
and paste the numbers into other programs or write them to files with 5
digits after the decimal.

Among my many attempts, I tried

    NumberForm[number,5].

It formats the output to show 5 digits  but it just places a wrapper
around the number.  When I cut and pastes, numbers transfer as as 18
digits in Windows or when viewed with FullForm.

Similarly

    .00001 Round[10000 number]

yields an 18 digit number.  Any good ideas?

Thank you.
Russell Chipman