Re: Write Protected Functions

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg9279] Re: [mg9249] Write Protected Functions
  • From: seanross at worldnet.att.net
  • Date: Mon, 27 Oct 1997 02:46:50 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Aaron Brewer wrote:

> I am new to the group so forgive grammar I have not the greatest grammar
> techniques. So here is my problem when I try to define a function that
> has a similar name to a function that is in mathematica 3.0 I get an
> error saying function is write protected. I there a way that I can fix
> this without renaming the function I am trying to declare?
>
> Thank you,
> Aaron David Brewer
>
> ----------------------------------------- Aaron Brewer
> Email: Aaron.Brewer at valpo.edu
> Valparaiso University
> Address
> 351 Greenwich Street Front Basement
> Valparaiso , IN 46383
> Phone Number
> 465-5767

1) You never get this error message if your function is similar to a
mathematica function name.  You only get it if your name is exactly the
same as the built-in name.

2) You could Unprotect[] the symbol name, then overwrite your definition
on top of it.  This may have unpredictable results if other mathematica
symbols depend on the one you just overwrote.  I don't recommend this
option.

3) Since all mathematica symbols start with a capital letter, you could
start yours with a small letter.