Re: 3d "Mesh" question

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg8661] Re: 3d "Mesh" question
  • From: Andreas Unterkircher <unterkir at ifu.bepr.ethz.ch>
  • Date: Mon, 15 Sep 1997 02:48:50 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Jose Javier Guzman wrote:

>  Hi, I have recently started using Mathematica and
> I have a question that an experienced user can probably
> help me with:
>  Here is my problem: I have two lines in 3-D
> of the form Line[{{x1,y1,z1},{x2,y2,z2},...{xn,yn,zn}}] .
> I want to create a "mesh" or surface between these two lines.
>
> 1) How can I do that?? and
> 2) What about if I have more than two lines??

Hi,

so far I know MMA has no implemented "mesh generator". This is not
surprising as mesh generation in general is a hard problem. There are
different approaches an you could try to implement them in MMA. A nice
overview can be found in the book:

"Generation automatique de maillages" by P.L. George (Masson, Paris,
1991).

Unfortunately I do not know if there exists an English version. Here is
also an useful Internet link:

http://www-users.informatik.rwth-aachen.de/~roberts/meshgeneration.html

Hope that helps,
  Andreas

--
Andreas Unterkircher             Institut fuer Umformtechnik
ETH Zentrum / CLA, Tannenstr. 3,CH-8092 Zuerich, Switzerland