Re: Solving log equations, how?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg13635] Re: Solving log equations, how?
  • From: Arnoud Buzing <arnoudb>
  • Date: Thu, 06 Aug 1998 16:41:33 -0500
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Jeffrey A. Soesbergen wrote:

> How can I solve the following exponential equations:
>
> 1. log3 x=-2
>
> 2. log x + log (x+3) = 1
>
> Can anyone tell me how to solve these in Mathematica?

You can solve equations in Mathematica with the Solve[] command. It
takes two arguments: the equation you want to solve and the variable
you want to solve for. In your case the expressions to evaluate are:

Solve[Log[3 x] == -2, x] (followed by shift-enter)

Solve[Log[x] + Log[x + 3] == 1, x] (followed by shift-enter)

You need to use == instead of = to indicate equality; the = is used for
assignment.

---
Arnoud