Re: Hand-shaped cursor??

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg13708] Re: Hand-shaped cursor??
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh>
  • Date: Wed, 19 Aug 1998 01:38:04 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
On 14 Aug 1998, Changmock Shin wrote:

> I am using Mathematica 3.0 with Linux.
>
> Sometimes the cursor in the Mathematica notebook becomes a hand-shaped
> one. In this case, it works to scroll the page; I can't point the
> cursor where I want. And if I click a Input/Output sell to select, all
> the Input/Output sells are seleceted.
>
> Why does this happen? How can I turn it into normal shape?

The presence of a hand-shaped mouse pointer is an indication that the
Mod2 key is depressed.  Click on the front end menu command sequence

	Help -> X Environment Information...

On the resulting dialog box, look under the subsection labeled Keyboard
Attributes.  Chances are, the Mod2 key is mapped to your Num Lock key,
and the lock is toggled on.

> One more question. In mathematica CD ROM, there are 2 kinds of linux
> version. One is in /linux directory and the other one is in
> /linux-aout. I am using Red Hat 5.1.
>
> What is the differences btn these two linux versions? Which one is right
> for me?

There are two different binary formats under Linux -- an older format
known as "a.out" and a newer one known as "ELF."  An explanation of the
differences between these two formats is beyond the scope of this
newsgroup.  Search the usual Linux FAQ pages for an answer.

It suffices to say that very few newer Linux distributions have support
for a.out binaries.  You will probably want to install the ELF version
on your RedHat 5.1 distribution.

--
P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group           paulh at wolfram.com Wolfram