RE-1: [TS 9937]--Formatting (x_Real)

This is Ted Ersek again,

Carlos replied with:

|To have this NumberForm affect all outputs the $Post function can be
used. |This will also help avoid the problems you had using NumberForm
with other |expressions.  In your previous expression "In[5]:= 1.0 /
dec" is the same |as saying "1.0/NumberForm[3]" or say
"1.0/InputForm[3]" |

OK that formats Out[2] below using decimal notation. Notice I changed
$Post so NumberForm isn't applied to Null. Now when I end a cell with a
semicolon, I don't get (  Out[n]//NumberForm= Null  ).

In[1]:=
$Post= If[#=!=Null, NumberForm[#,ExponentFunction->(Null &)]]&;

In[2]:=
num=Exp[-45.0]

Out[2]//NumberForm=
"0.0000000000000000000286252"

In[3]:=
{1.0/8,Log[3]}

Out[3]//NumberForm=
{"0.125",Log["3"]}

But there are still a few aspects of this I would like to change.

(1)    I would like to use to use scientific notation for
(x_Real)/;(Abs[x]<=10^-8), and decimal notation for
(x_Real)/;(Abs[x]>10^-8).  That can probably be done with a suitable
ExponentFunction, but I don't know how to use that option.

(2)  Now all output cells are preceded by "Out[n]//NumberForm=".  I
would  like to have the normal performance where output cells are
preceded by  "Out[n]=".   At one time I stumbled across a selection to
control that  feature, but I don't remember where it was.

(3)  Now when I copy a cell into an ASC file (ie.  e-mail) all numbers
are  in quotes
(see Out[3] above).   Normally numbers aren't in quotes (see below).  I
would like to have this work as normal.

Obviously Mathematica normally uses rules to decide whether to use
decimal  notation or scientific notation for real numbers.   Perhaps I
can just  change that rule instead of using NumberForm.

Thanks,
Ted Ersek