Re: Simple question about packages

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg19484] Re: [mg19455] Simple question about packages
  • From: "Tomas Garza" <tgarza at mail.internet.com.mx>
  • Date: Sat, 28 Aug 1999 15:53:10 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

ROTUD [rotud at aol.com] wrote:

> Why is it that all the documentation shows that loading a package
> is done by
> typing:
>
> << Directory'PackageName'
>
> That doesn't work for me, it says Cannot Load
> Directory'PackageName'. I have to
> type
>
> << Directory\PackageName.m
>
> Does everyone use this method of loading packages or is it just me? I am
> running on a Windows 98 machine by the way. Any explanation would
> be greatly
> appreciated.

I'm not clear as to your use of the word "Directory" in the examples above.
It appears that you mean context rather than directory. All the
documentation shows that loading a package is done by typing

<< name

where name stands for the name of the package you wish to load. See e.g. the
Help Browser on Working With Add-Ons|Loading Packages. E.g., if you want to
work with combinatorial functions you should type

<<DiscreteMath`CombinatorialFunctions`

Alternatively, you may type

Needs["DiscreteMath`CombinatorialFunctions`"]

or

Get[DiscreteMath`CombinatorialFunctions`]

(<< is an alias for Get). Perhaps all you need is to use ` (back quote) and
not ' (apostrophe).

Tomas Garza
Mexico City