Re: problems printing in Mathematica 3

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg18293] Re: problems printing in Mathematica 3
  • From: paulh at (P.J. Hinton)
  • Date: Fri, 25 Jun 1999 15:05:33 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

In article <7ktv93$97v at>, Henrik Weimer <henrik at> writes:

> I am unable to figure out how to print a notebook in Mathematica 3.0.1
> on both IRIX and Solaris. Sometimes it works, sometimes it doesn't. In
> particular, whenever I really depend on a printout, Mathematica fails
> consistently :-)
> What I do is the following: Look at a notebook in the front end, go to
> file, print, select "print to file". The resulting PostScript file is
> broken. An example of this can be found here
> When I look at the file it seems to contain mirrored output of part of
> the page.
> Thanks for any hint on how to fix this.

The problems is that the X front end writes out a bunch of extraneous
PostScript code before the magic cookie line

that tells a printer this is a PostScript program.  The workaround
is to set up your front end's printing shell command to pipe the
code emitted by the front end through a filter that eats the
extraneous lines.

The following FAQ entry at the Technical Support website should
guide you through the process of fixing the problem.

P.J. Hinton
Mathematica Programming Group		paulh at
Wolfram Research, Inc.