Re: Excel

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg19772] Re: [mg19750] Excel
  • From: Jean-Marie Thomas <jmt at agat.net>
  • Date: Fri, 17 Sep 1999 01:36:34 -0400
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

This is the method I use when the Excel data is two-dimensional :
1- Save the Excel sheet under a text format : depending on the kind of data,
you can choose between space-separated cells, comma-separated cells,
tab-separated cells, and maybe others; recent versions of Excel can show
different sheets under the same "Excel folder", then save each sheet nder a
separate name;
You can eventually modify the data, for instance getting rid of column or
line headers if you don not need them;
2- Read the so-generated files with a Read command : if you have only numerical
data, for instance n columns and p line, you can
Read[myFile,Table[ Number,{p},{n}]
or use ReadList.
Text files are easily read with Mathematica, but have a look to the Main book
before !

Hope this helps,

jmt