Re: Re: Exporting formulae as GIFs

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg22852] Re: [mg22809] Re: Exporting formulae as GIFs
  • From: Bojan Bistrovic <bojanb at>
  • Date: Sat, 1 Apr 2000 02:51:12 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

> Thanks for the pointer. I was hoping for something more specific if
> possible. In preparing a series of manuscripts for publication, I've been
> exporting formulae as "EPS" format (or EPSTIFF) and then inserting  them
> into a Word (or TeX) document. This works very well for the postscript
> output, as the eps files look exactly like what's on the screen (the TIFF
> previews are often weirdly trucated though). When I save individual formulae
> as bitmaps (Save Selection As Bitmap), I also get images that are true to
> what I see in the notebook in terms of line breaks.  Unfortunately, the
> 72dpi resolution is not very legible and I haven't been able to increase the
> resolution, perhaps because I haven't yet found the correct options to
> adjust the bitmap resolution for the menu command. While the eps output is
> lovely for publication purposes, I would like to do the same with bitmap or
> gif images, mostly so that I can pass the manuscript past my co-authors in
> electronic form (a step that necessarily comes before sharing it with
> publishers :)
> The problem is that the exported images don't bear much relationship to
> what's on the screen in the Mathematica notebook. When I export them the way you
> recommend, line breaks are inserted about half way across the page. In the
> Option Inspector, I have tried adjusting PageWidth , LinebreakWithin, and
> "PageWidth" (ExportTypesetOptions) options. I've even tried experimenting
> with the penalty function in LinebreakAdjustments and specifying different
> values for ImageSize, without much luck. The same thing happens in 640 x
> 480, 800 x 600 etc. screen modes
> It's only a minor problem, I know, since the postscript output works well.
> Still, there must be a simpler alternative than the suggestion from WRI
> technical support to oblige my colleagues to download MathReader or hunt
> down a postscript printer just to be able to print a legible copy of a
> manuscript that will inevitably undergo many revisions.
> Thanks again for this and ther good advice.
> A. Sharma
> Atul Sharma MD, FRCP(C)
> Pediatric Nephrologist,
> McGill University/Montreal Children's Hospital
Here's a possible solution: since PostScript works, download GhostScript and
GhostView from it's homepage or one of the
mirrors, finish the whole document, and then convert it to some other
format (like PDF or PCL or whatever) which is readable to all your
co-authors. Or have them download and install GhostScript/GhostView; this
sounds the same as the suggestion to have them download MathReader. The
main difference is that GS/GV combination is available for ALL platforms
and operating systems and it's usefulness goes far beyond converting
PostScript documents to other formats.

Bojan Bistrovic,                                      bojanb at
Old Dominion University, Norfolk VA & Jefferson Lab, Newport News, VA