Re: how to XY plot a list of complex numbers?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg23227] Re: [mg23212] how to XY plot a list of complex numbers?
  • From: Hugh Walker <hwalker at gvtc.com>
  • Date: Tue, 25 Apr 2000 01:40:31 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Rob at intheway-piovere at pdq.net wrote:

============
f is a list of complex numbers (a fourier transform of a time series).
All seems OK because I can plot both components:

ListPlot[Re[f], PlotRange -> All, PlotJoined -> True]
ListPlot[Im[f], PlotRange -> All, PlotJoined -> True]

And they look fine.

What I really want to do is plot the real vs. imag. components (I
should see a loop at each resonance.).  The only candidate I have
scraped up so far is the following which does indeed make a 2D graph:

z = Table[{Re[f[[i]]], Im[f[[i]]]}, {i, 512}];
ListPlot[z, PlotJoined -> True]

But, this is clearly not the plot I'm after.  Besides the shape not
making any sense, the ranges of the two variables aren't close to that
seen in the first two plots above.  I'm plotting something but it
isn't Re[f] vs Im[f].

I have done some looking and trying but I'm getting nowhere. Can
someone help me (again)?

Regards, Rob

Let l be the list of complex numbers. Then

ListPlot[{Re[#], Im[#]} & /@ l,PlotRange->All,PlotJoined->True]

should do what you want.

Cheers!

    ==