Re: Help: 1.#QNAN ??

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg24783] Re: Help: 1.#QNAN ??
  • From: "P.J. Hinton" <paulh at>
  • Date: Thu, 10 Aug 2000 00:32:20 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at
On 9 Aug 2000, Phil wrote:

> I apologise if this is slightly off-topic, but I imagine many people here
> use Mathematica & C++ in computations. In a C++ program I have used 'double'
> for all of my values in computations. My outputs are usually shown in the
> form 5.324670 etc... but in some cases I get them in this form 1.#QNAN.
> What on earth does this mean? It may be a problem as I want to write my
> values to file to be read in by another application, and I don't suppose it
> will understand what type of value 1.#QNAN is either.

Go check your C++ compiler's documentation.  I suspect that you are trying
to format a number that does not fit within the confines of your
formatting string.  Take a look at the ranges of values you are planning
on displaying and determine whether the formatting string you coded is
really appropriate.

P.J. Hinton
User Interface Programmer                         paulh at
Wolfram Research, Inc.