Repeated function evaluation?

Suppose I have a function  f[x_,y_] := Module[{ }, . . .]  where the
module is fairly time-consuming to evaluate.

If I call this function a second time in a given notebook using
identical values of the arguments  x  and  y , is Mathematica smart
enough the second time around to recognize that it's already evaluated
the function once for those arguments, and use a stored value?

Or, if I want to use the values of this function for a given range of
arguments multiple times (e.g., replotting the values in different
ways), do I need to do something like

   Do[ ff[x,y] = f[x,y], {x, x1, x2}, {y, y1, y2} ]

and use the values  ff[x,y]  instead?

Thanks   AES