- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg24598] Re: Newbie
- From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
- Date: Tue, 25 Jul 2000 00:56:29 -0400 (EDT)
- Organization: Mathematics & Statistics, Univ. of Mass./Amherst
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
You may be confusing Mathematica's use of the semicolon as a
compound-statement separator (special case of nothing following the
semicolon gives Null result) with the use of the semicolon in a number
of other "computer algebra systems" where a semicolon MUST terminate the
expression for it to be evaluated.
Had you used such a system before?
> I've just started using mathematica....
> When I type a command and press (shift)+(enter) I don't see any output
> unless I preceded the command by print command
> D[x^2];(shift)+(enter) doesn't do anything !!(at least I can't see what it
> Print[D[x^2]];(shift)+(enter) prints 2 x
> any help is greatly appreciated
Murray Eisenberg murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept. phone 413 549-1020 (H)
Univ. of Massachusetts 413 545-2859 (W)
Amherst, MA 01003-4515
Prev by Date:
Re: Windows 9X or Linux?
Next by Date:
Re: Sort Solve Results
Previous by thread:
Next by thread:
checking for presence of files