An example of a quadratic that version 2.2.2 can not solve but version 3 does...
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg23404] An example of a quadratic that version 2.2.2 can not solve but version 3 does...
- From: zeno at magicnet.net
- Date: Sat, 6 May 2000 19:14:13 -0400 (EDT)
- Organization: Verio
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
Take the equation.. 4877361379*x^2-9754525226*x+4877163849=0 This equation has 2 complex roots whose true values are.. x=.999979750116+2.89954639913*10^-10 i x=.999979750116-2.89954639913*10^-10 i Does anyone have any insight on the improvements to the Solve command in Version 3 that causes it to get it correct where version 2.2.2 does not? Version 2.2.2 gives back 2 real incorrect reuslts for x. Version 3 gets it correct by returning the 2 complex correct results. (This quadratic equation example is from the Advanced Functions Handbook for the HP15C calculator. It is an example of a tough to solve quadratic.)