Re: An example of a quadratic that version 2.2.2 can not solve but version 3 does...
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg23409] Re: An example of a quadratic that version 2.2.2 can not solve but version 3 does...
- From: zeno at magicnet.net
- Date: Sun, 7 May 2000 21:17:56 -0400 (EDT)
- References: <email@example.com>
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
Oops, sorry folks. I made a typo in the last number..I had the last number
end in a 8 instead of the 9. Mathematica 2.2 does get it right..looks like I
need an upgrade!
In article <8f28v1$s9 at smc.vnet.net>, zeno at magicnet.net wrote:
> Take the equation..
> This equation has 2 complex roots whose true values are..
> x=.999979750116+2.89954639913*10^-10 i
> x=.999979750116-2.89954639913*10^-10 i
> Does anyone have any insight on the improvements to the Solve command in
> Version 3 that causes it to get it correct where version 2.2.2 does not?
> Version 2.2.2 gives back 2 real incorrect reuslts for x. Version 3 gets it
> correct by returning the 2 complex correct results.
> (This quadratic equation example is from the Advanced Functions Handbook for
> the HP15C calculator. It is an example of a tough to solve quadratic.)
Prev by Date:
Next by Date:
Is GenerateConditions working properly in my version 3?
Previous by thread:
An example of a quadratic that version 2.2.2 can not solve but version 3 does...
Next by thread: