symbolic calculations with complex numbers

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg31937] symbolic calculations with complex numbers
  • From: "Roberto Dinapoli" <dinapoli at usa.net>
  • Date: Thu, 13 Dec 2001 01:08:41 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hello,
I've a problem: is there a way to convince mathematica to do symbolic
calculations and simplifications taking all symbolic variables as real?
example:
Abs[p+ I q] is not evaluated, I'd like to see : sqrt[ sqr[p]+sqr[q] ]...

for all the calculations I have to do it's really important.

Thanks a lot
Roberto