symbolic calculations with complex numbers

Hello,
I've a problem: is there a way to convince mathematica to do symbolic
calculations and simplifications taking all symbolic variables as real?
example:
Abs[p+ I q] is not evaluated, I'd like to see : sqrt[ sqr[p]+sqr[q] ]...

for all the calculations I have to do it's really important.

Thanks a lot
Roberto