matrices & polynomials in mathematica
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg27273] matrices & polynomials in mathematica
- From: "news.tue.nl" <student at tue.nl>
- Date: Fri, 16 Feb 2001 03:58:22 -0500 (EST)
- Organization: Eindhoven University of Technology, The Netherlands
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
Hi, I have the following problem. I have written a mathematica-module that automatically produces a certain polynomial as a result. But I want another module to use this first module and fill in a matrix in this polynomial. for example: f[x]=1+x+x^2 But when I compute f[A] where A is a matrix, mathematica interprets 1 as a matrix filled with ones in stead of the identity-matrix. And A^2 is pointswise multiplication in stead of matrix-multiplication. Is there an option to let Mathematica know that the polynomial works on matrices? Chris PS. I am aware of the possibility to multiply matrices using . (dot) but the problem is that the polynomial is the result of some computations and I need to have mathematica interpret this polynomial on matrices automatically.