Re: Cause of $ErrorLink message in EXCEL/Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg26684] Re: Cause of $ErrorLink message in EXCEL/Mathematica
  • From: Ulrich Hofstoetter <ulrich.hofstoetter at>
  • Date: Wed, 17 Jan 2001 00:47:33 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Todd in Oslo wrote:
> Dear Colleagues,
> I am testing my first model of an EXCEL spreadsheet linked to a
> Mathematica kernel using MathLink for EXCEL. The model works fine for a
> limited number of calculations, say about 4000 cells. But now I am
> experiencing the following problem:
> The calculations of 6000 cells never gets more than 65% finished
> because the link between EXCEL and the Mathematica kernel seems to be
> broken, resulting in an error message for the rest of the 35% of the
> cells. The message in these cells is $LinkError.
> What am I doing wrong, or what can I do to fix this?

Do you use VBA?

Does an array exceed the array size limit set in the link options? This
should give an $ArrrayTooLarge, but who knows?

Do you try to get a list element by element in a loop of some kind? I
had this once and my problems went away by fetching the complete list.

Dipl.-Inf. Ulrich Hofstoetter
Visual Analysis GmbH
Neumarkter Str. 87
D - 81673 Munchen