Math Fonts in EPS-exported graphs

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg29749] Math Fonts in EPS-exported graphs
  • From: Stefan.Schenderlein at ferring.de
  • Date: Sat, 7 Jul 2001 02:25:54 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

I want to save/export graphs as EPS files with greek symbols on the axis and
use them independently on the machine where Mathematica is not installed
(for example a printing bureau). Then I face the problem that the MathFonts
are not available and printing gives unsatisfying results.

On the FAQ-pages I found that one can force Mathematica with
FormatType->OutputForm to use only keyboard characters. But then instead the
symbol for chi the letters 'chi' are used which is not what I intended.
Experiments with FormatType->TeXForm showed the greek symbols between the
environment switches for equations in LaTeX ($ \chi $).

Question 1: Is it possible to have Mathematica use the symbol fonts of any
free TeX distribution? With Text[] one can specify FontFamily but I do not
know how to use it for non mathematica fonts.

Question 2: If the receipient of the eps file would have the MathReader
installed, would he have automatically the fonts available? In this case one
would have quasi freeware fonts and DVIPS should work on any computer where
MathReader installed. Is that right?

Any hints for me?

Stefan