Why can't Mathematica do this simple integral ?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg36808] Why can't Mathematica do this simple integral ?
  • From: Madhusudan Singh <spammers-go-here at>
  • Date: Thu, 26 Sep 2002 04:57:17 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

        I have been trying to integrate the following :

        Integrate[Cosh[2 Abs[x-y]] 2 y, {y,0,1/2},

        However, Mathematica chokes and simply returns the integral as it is. However, if I
 split up the integral into two portions, it quickly gives me an answer for the parts. Is
 there something implicit that I am missing in the Assumptions ?

12:02am up 5:06, 1 user, load average: 0.54, 0.22, 0.08