Re: General::aofil-closing files after manual abort

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg40896] Re: General::aofil-closing files after manual abort
  • From: Bill Rowe <listuser at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Wed, 23 Apr 2003 01:18:47 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On 4/22/03 at 6:46 AM, tomhardy at sdc.cox.net (Tom Hardy) wrote:

>Searched around and couldn't find an answer. I have some long
>calculations that write to files and also the display. If I see
>something is wrong do a manual abort. However, if I try to rerun the
>program Mathematica leaves the files open and get the subject error
>message. Played with catch on abort etc. The only way I can get back
>and run the program is by exiting Mathematica and restarting. Is there
>a way to have the program close the files on an abort?

There are a couple of things you could try. At startup, the only streams normally open are stdout and stderr. You could use Streams[] to get a list of all open streams and use Close to close all of them except stdout and stderr.

The other thing you could try is the package CleanSlate.m which can be found on the mathsource site. This package attempts to restore the Mathematica's state to the condition it was in when CleanSlate was loaded.

Together these should enable you to more or less manually achieve a state equivalent to exiting Mathematica and restarting without actually doing this.