What Happens to Garbage in Mathematica?

What happens to the alocated memory of objects such as graphics primatives
when their variable are assigned new values?  For example, suppose I have a
thousand pairs of triple which I use to create a thousand Line objects. If
I then change the values of all the tripples, and create new Lines
assigning them to the same variables I used to store the original Lines,
what happens to the memory that held the original lines?

Steven