Re: InLine Formatting

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg47453] Re: [mg47449] InLine Formatting
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at wolfram.com>
  • Date: Tue, 13 Apr 2004 06:26:07 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

On Mon, 12 Apr 2004 03:45:03 -0400 (EDT), Bruce W. Colletti wrote:
> Re Mathematica 5.0.1 under WinXP Home.
>
> A text cell has several sentences, one containing x + y = z.  I
> highlite this equation and punch ctrl 9 (to make it an inline cell that
> doesn't split when printed).
>
> The formula looks fine except that it's italicized.  Although easy to
> un-italicize (open cell via Show Expression and change RowBox parameter
> from TraditionalForm to StandardForm), I must repeat this for each
> equation.
>
> I'd rather the Style Sheet define inline formatting without italics, but
> cannot find where to declare this:  I've made other changes under Format
> Type Styles (prototype for style "Inline Cell"), but can't figure out
> how to resolve the italics issue here.
>
> If this can be done in the Style Sheet, where would the setting be
> established?  Thanks.
>
> Bruce

Change the SingleLetterItalics option to False.  You could either change
this in the InlineCell style, as you've already discovered, or you could
change it in the TraditionalForm style, which would affect all
TraditionalForm cells (not just inline ones).

Additionally, if you prefer StandardForm in general (for example, you'd
like your inline cell to be Courier, non-italicized), then you can use the
menu command Cell->Default Inline FormatType->StandardForm, which changes
the default form for all future inline cells you create.  It doesn't do
anything about the ones you've already created, though.

Sincerely,

John Fultz
jfultz at wolfram.com
User Interface Group