RE: Kernel crash?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg47639] RE: [mg47632] Kernel crash?
  • From: "David Park" <djmp at earthlink.net>
  • Date: Tue, 20 Apr 2004 03:18:41 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Jason,

It crashes on Windows98 also.

But why are you using All? Aren't the edge options principally for
specifying the plot rendering? Are you actually going to plot a graph with
39,600 edges?

I'm guessing that when you specify edge or vertex options, Combinatorica
goes to much less efficient internal storage.

If you want to plot a subset of the graph with graphics directives, you
might want to try the CombinatoricaGraphics package from my web site below.
It doesn't store the plotting information with the graph. I originally
developed this packge for the old Combinatorica, which had serious graphics
limitations. The newer Combinatorica that came with Version 4.2 has much
better graphics.

David Park
djmp at earthlink.net
http://home.earthlink.net/~djmp/

From: J. McKenzie Alexander [mailto:jalex at lse.ac.uk]
To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net

Starting with a pure kernel, the following sequence of commands crashes
the kernel on two different machines (an OS X box and an XP box):

	<<DiscreteMath`Combinatorica`
	MakeDirected[GridGraph[100,100],All];

yet, (also starting with a pure kernel) the following does not:

	<<DiscreteMath`Combinatorica`
	MakeDirected[GridGraph[100,100]];

Can others reproduce this?  And, if so, does anyone have an idea what
might be causing it?

Cheers,

Jason
--
Dr J. McKenzie Alexander
Department of Philosophy, Logic and Scientific Method