Re: Howto turn off using symbols to tag objects?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg46618] Re: [mg46593] Howto turn off using symbols to tag objects?
  • From: Tomas Garza <tgarza01 at prodigy.net.mx>
  • Date: Wed, 25 Feb 2004 13:07:10 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Perhaps k has been assigned a numerical value prior to your expression. For
example,

In[1]:=
k = 1; NumberQ[ToExpression["123k"]]
Out[1]=
True

This is the result to be expected. But now look at

In[2]:=
Clear[k]; NumberQ[ToExpression["123k"]]
Out[2]=
False

If k is a number, i.e., it has been already assigned a numerical value, then
123k is evaluated first and returns a numerical value, namely 123 times k.

Tomas Garza
Mexico City