General question on handling very large datasets in Mathematica

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg48827] General question on handling very large datasets in Mathematica
  • From: Mark Coleman <mark at markscoleman.com>
  • Date: Fri, 18 Jun 2004 02:12:49 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Greetings,

I am about to begin some research work with a very large dataset --
several million records (though each record is relatively simple). I
plan to use Mathematica to estimate a number of statistical models using
various subsets of this data. I was wondering if other MathGroup have
any experiences they could share using Mathematica to handle large datasets. My
particular concern is Import-Export and general reading of large data
sets in Mathematica. I can have this data in a variety of formats, from pure
ASCII to any number of RDBS formats.

I apologize for the vagueness of this posting.

Regards,

Mark