Re: WTD: point intersection in space

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg48374] Re: WTD: point intersection in space
  • From: Jens-Peer Kuska <kuska at informatik.uni-leipzig.de>
  • Date: Wed, 26 May 2004 02:41:23 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

there must not be a unique solution, your lines in 2d
can be parallel and you will not find a intersection and
two spheres in 3d must also not have a point in common, more
over the two spheres can have a common curve ...

So you can't ensure that a unique solution exist with real
coordinates. You can have complex solutions but this is nonsense
if you seach a intersection point on real coordinate axis.

Suppose you have two n-1 dimensional surfaces, every with
n-1 parameters S1[p[1],...,p[n-1]] and S2[q[1],...,q[n-1]]
and S1 and S2 map the R^(n-1) -> R^(n) finding the intersection
mean S1[p]==S2[q] and this yields n equations to find the
2(n-1) parameter p[1],..,p[n-1] and q[1],..,q[n-1]
For 2d you have two equations for two parameters, for 3d
3 equations for 4 parameters ...
Only in the plane, the system is not underdetermined.

Regards
  Jens