Re: 64 bit cpu and Mathematica on windows.

Just a little further information. First, there has been a good, stable
beta of Windows XP for AMD64 available (free) for some time.

For once, Intel are playing catchup and just starting to produce "64-bit
extended" chips that are compatible with the AMD hardware.

The AMD 64-bit design is extremely neat for a lot of reasons. In
particular, if you run a 64-bit operating system you can run both 32-bit
and 64-bit code. 32-bit applications - such as your regular Mathematica
for Windows - can then address more or less the whole 4-Gigabyte address
space (rather than a typical 1.5G) because the operating system runs in
64-bit mode even when it is servicing 32-bit applications - so it does
not use up any of the 4G theoretical limit.

The 64 bit Mathematica should be able to address a vast quantity of
memory. Of course, to be able to access all this memory it has to be
physically present on your machine.

I probably sound as though I work for AMD, but I don't - I just like
their 64-bit design!

David Bailey