Parallel Toolkit Example

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg50425] Parallel Toolkit Example
  • From: Geoff Hulette <ghulette at collidescope.net>
  • Date: Fri, 3 Sep 2004 03:35:13 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

I am looking for an efficient example of using the Parallel Toolkit.
Many other people on this forum seem to have noted what I have also
found to be the case, that the ParallelMap and ParallelTable commands
aren't terribly efficient.  The example code in ParEval.nb, for
instance

ParallelMap[FactorInteger, (10^Range[20, 40] )/9]

only seems to run about 20% faster on a six-node cluster vs my laptop.
Does anyone have an example of how to solve this same problem using an
efficient parallel technique?  I am fairly new to Mathematica, so
please be explicit.

Thanks,
-geoff

Geoff Hulette