Functionality of Mathematica

Hi all,

I'm investigating the usage of Mathematica in a project. We have complex
algorithms/functions that we need to evaluate at runtime.

Is it possible with Mathematica to just write an expression in plain english
and call a Mathematica library to execute it and get the result from a .NET
environment ? For instance, writing something like Mathematica.Execute
("sqrt(2) * log(Pi)").

Is it possible to precompile an algorithm or a function into a .NET assembly
? For instance I would like to compile the formula sqrt(2) * log(Pi) into an
assembly that I could call at runtime.

Which products are needed for this ? Do I need the .NET/link ?

Christian