Re: Is Apart[ .. ] the correct way for denominator splitting?
- To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
- Subject: [mg58558] Re: Is Apart[ .. ] the correct way for denominator splitting?
- From: "Chris" <topher at csh.rit.edu>
- Date: Thu, 7 Jul 2005 05:35:46 -0400 (EDT)
- References: <firstname.lastname@example.org>
- Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
The reason Apart doesn't work is because x^2-1 can't be factored with rational coefficients. You can however use the Extension feature of Factor to do what you want: Apart2[exp_, x_] := Apart[Factor[exp, Extension -> x /. Solve[Denominator[exp] == 0, x][]]]