Nested Commutators

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg58114] Nested Commutators
  • From: "Shug Boabby" <Shug.Boabby at gmail.com>
  • Date: Sat, 18 Jun 2005 06:08:51 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

hi there,

i have searched the archive for theads on nested commutators in
mathematica, but i found no answer to my problem and i was wondering if
anyone had any helpful advise for me.

i wish to be able to define a commutator[A, B]
  http://mathworld.wolfram.com/Commutator.html
between 2 operators.

for example i would like to be able to define an algebra by presenting
the commutators, such as
  [A, B] = B
  [A, C] = C
  [B, C] = D
(also explicitly defining the rest to be zero) and then be able to ask
mathematica to return the solution when i nest the operators like so
  [A, [A, [A, B]]]
which should return B
  [A, [B, C]]
should return 0.

it would also be nice if the Jacobi identities are used in
simplification routines, so that terms such as
are identified as being the same as
right ordering the output when the commutators cannot be calculated
explicitly.

apologies if you have seen this question recently... i stupidly asked
it at the end of my last posting where it is surely to be missed. this
question really warrants its own thread.