Re: help with reading binary files using Utilities`BinaryFiles'

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg57395] Re: help with reading binary files using Utilities`BinaryFiles'
  • From: Bill Rowe <readnewsciv at>
  • Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 04:31:56 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

On 5/25/05 at 6:03 AM, masteroftensors at (Master of Puppets)

<snip details>

>I am guessing that Mathematica is not recognizing the command
>OpenReadBinary[]. But, when I display $Packages, it shows that the
>package Utilites`BinaryFiles` is loaded and hence is in context.
>What could be the problem ? Please help.

What version of Mathematica are you using? If you have version 5.1 then the package Utilities`BinaryFiles` has been obsoleted by built in functions. In particular, instead of OpenReadBinary you would use OpenRead[filename, BinaryFormat->True] then BinaryRead to read individual items. But even more convienent would be BinaryReadList[filename] if you wanted byte values or BinaryReadList[filename, type] if you wanted specific binary types such as say "Real32" (single precision IEEE real).

However, I would have expected you to get a message indicating the package is obsolete with version 5.1. And if you are using an earlier version, then I don't understand why the package would not work. Is it possible you created a shadowing issue by using the command OpenReadBinary earlier in you notebook before loading the package? If so, that would explain the output you showed.