*Ask about this page
*Print this page
*Give us feedback

MathGroup Archive 2005

[Date Index] [Thread Index] [Author Index]

Search the Archive

Re: help with reading binary files using Utilities`BinaryFiles'

• To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg57395] Re: help with reading binary files using Utilities`BinaryFiles'
  • Date: Thu, 26 May 2005 04:31:56 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

On 5/25/05 at 6:03 AM, masteroftensors at (Master of Puppets)

<snip details>

>I am guessing that Mathematica is not recognizing the command
>OpenReadBinary[]. But, when I display $Packages, it shows that the
>package Utilites`BinaryFiles` is loaded and hence is in context.
>What could be the problem ? Please help.

What version of Mathematica are you using? If you have version 5.1 then the package Utilities`BinaryFiles` has been obsoleted by built in functions. In particular, instead of OpenReadBinary you would use OpenRead[filename, BinaryFormat->True] then BinaryRead to read individual items. But even more convienent would be BinaryReadList[filename] if you wanted byte values or BinaryReadList[filename, type] if you wanted specific binary types such as say "Real32" (single precision IEEE real).

However, I would have expected you to get a message indicating the package is obsolete with version 5.1. And if you are using an earlier version, then I don't understand why the package would not work. Is it possible you created a shadowing issue by using the command OpenReadBinary earlier in you notebook before loading the package? If so, that would explain the output you showed.
To reply via email subtract one hundred and four

• Prev by Date: Re: Re: Applying a list of functions to a list of arguments
  • Next by Date: Re: Re: Nestwhile IHB
  • Previous by thread: help with reading binary files using Utilities`BinaryFiles'
  • Next by thread: Re: MathLink and GUIKit