Re: RE: Problems with Set, SetDelayed and replacement rules...

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg72302] Re: RE: Problems with Set, SetDelayed and replacement rules...
  • From: Johannes <ml.johannes at gmail.com>
  • Date: Tue, 19 Dec 2006 06:35:29 -0500 (EST)

Hi David,
first of all thanks to your reply,

In fact that your example work I knew allready. The problem is only that if you have not only g and h, but additionally three other parameters, and than you have not only f, but several other functions where you inject f, this method quickly gets very hard to read, and hence very susceptible for errors.
To use your last example:
Integrate[f[g[1], h[1]][x], x] alone is still quite readable, but if you put this in another equation, and you have 3 additional variables and 2 additional parameters, this quickly gets horrible, and taking care for readability gets essential in my eyes...
While working out the method using substitution rules, I found to work it quite well in general, I just found this strange behavior which I didn't understand...

Thx, Johannnes