Re: 3D Graphics suggestions?

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg64717] Re: [mg64630] 3D Graphics suggestions?
  • From: "Igor C. Antonio" <igora at>
  • Date: Wed, 1 Mar 2006 04:11:37 -0500 (EST)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at

Sensei wrote:
> Hi!
> I'm new to Mathematica (5.2), and I find it really wonderful, even
> though not always obvious :) My question is simple.
> I need to plot multiple 3d graphic objects, mainly lines with different
> color/thickness attributes, allowing some easy manipulation, just zoom
> and rotations (pan is not necessary).
> I've found two packages, one is SuperWidgetPackage, the other is
> MathGL3d. The problem is that none of them seem to work correctly.
> SuperWidgetPackage can show 3d graphics, but it seems to me attributes
> do not work. The other one, MathGL3d does not even start when <<'ing
> the package showing a syntax error (I know, on
> there's writtne ``works with Mathematica 3.x and 4.0'', but I gave it a
> try...).
> Can you suggest a simple package for doing these ``interactive'' plots
> (or redirect me to a more appropriate newsgroup if necessary)? I don't
> really need anything sophisticated... :)
> Thanks to anyone!

You may want to check out LiveGraphics3D, developed by Martin Kraus.

I'm sure if it supports what you want, but since none of the others you
mentioned support everything you want, it's worth trying it.  The usual
disclaimer: it's a third-party package, so it's not supported by Wolfram Research.

Answering a question posed in other emails, RealTime3D was deprecated in
Mathematica 5.0.  It's still in the build for compatibility, but it will be
removed in the future.

Igor C. Antonio
Wolfram Research, Inc.

To email me personally, remove the dash.