Re: JLink : JavaNew Failure

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg66383] Re: [mg66250] JLink : JavaNew Failure
  • From: caa0012 at unt.edu
  • Date: Thu, 11 May 2006 02:15:24 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Hi,

Just a few pointers...
1.  You don't need to call LoadJavaClass unless you just want to use
some static methods without instantiating a class.
2.  Use a package hierarchy.  For example, in your java source put:

package mypackage;

3.  Then when you want an instance of test, you do JavaNew["mypackage.test"]

For this to work successfully, your directory structure is critical.
Suppose all your java code is in home/myclasses.  For this to work,
you'll actually need a subdirectory home/myclasses/mypackage where the
test .class and .java files should be placed.  In other words, the
package structure needs to mimic exactly the directory structure, and
then it is only necessary to AddToClassPath the top directory.

If your class truly has a no-arg constructor then
JavaNew["mypackage.test"] should work.  If you have a constructor that
takes a double then JavaNew["mypackage.test",1] might give you an error
because mathematica casts it to an integer type.  Instead you could do
JavaNew["mypackage.test",1.0]

One more thing...if you're not using the JVM bundled with mathematica,
then you're going to need to be sure that your system classpath
variable is pointing to the java library files otherwise you'll get
errors that way too.

Hope that helps...

C.Arthur

Quoting karenechu at gmail.com: