Re: Prefix function syntax f @ x

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg66651] Re: [mg66638] Prefix function syntax f @ x
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Fri, 26 May 2006 04:17:00 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com
On 25 May 2006, at 15:58, Kristen W Carlson wrote:

> Hi,
>
> David Wagner emphasizes that he doesn't use the syntax
> function@argument (p. 37n), no explanation. To me it seems very handy.
> Any thoughts?

I also never use it (although until I now have never considered why).
I guess the reason must be is that f[x] or f(x) is the standard
mathematical notation for the value of a function f at x and I am
used to it. I don't have this problem with @@, /@ or even @@@
probably because these are programming constructs that do not
correspond to any standard mathematical concepts.

Andrzej Kozlowski
Tokyo, Japan