Re: Re: Prefix function syntax f @ x

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg66678] Re: [mg66651] Re: [mg66638] Prefix function syntax f @ x
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Sat, 27 May 2006 03:50:51 -0400 (EDT)
  • Sender: owner-wri-mathgroup at wolfram.com

Of course @, as in f @ g, is remarkably similar to the traditional
mathematical symbol (a small circle) for function composition.  So using
f@g[x] in place of f[g[x]]] ought not to be that "non-standard".

Actually, it's non-standard from the viewpoint of mathematical notation
in one respect:  Let me use o to stand for the traditional mathematical
small circle (in TeX: \circ).  Then

    (f o g)(x)

by definition means f(g(x))).

In Mathematica, by contrast,

    (f@g)[x]

does NOT mean the same thing as f[g[x]].  For example:

   f[x_] := x^2
   g[x_] := x + 5
   (f@g)[x] // FullForm
Power[g, 2][x]