Re: Infinity vs DirectedInfinity[1]

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg70562] Re: [mg70489] Infinity vs DirectedInfinity[1]
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at>
  • Date: Thu, 19 Oct 2006 03:23:37 -0400 (EDT)
On 18 Oct 2006, at 17:16, Chris Chiasson wrote:

> Infinity is a symbol, as far as I know. However, in FullForm it is
> shown as the equivalent DirectedInfinity[1].
> Is there some kind of MakeBoxes rule for FullForm that makes Infinity
> show up that way?
> --

In fact this is not quite true. Observe:

What happens is that the symbol Infinity evaluates to DirectedInfinity
[1]. This kind of thing is not uncommon in Mathematica; e.g. 2+3 I
evaluates to Complex[2,3] or 2/3 evaluates to Rational[2,3]. All this
is purely Kernel stuff; no MakeBoxes involved.

Andrzej Kozlowski
Tokyo, Japan