Re: MathPlayer???

  • To: mathgroup at
  • Subject: [mg75513] Re: [mg75510] MathPlayer???
  • From: John Fultz <jfultz at>
  • Date: Thu, 3 May 2007 17:39:08 -0400 (EDT)

Hello, Christoph.

I'm guessing that you're running on a Windows 64-bit machine.  We discovered a
problem after releasing Mathematica Player in which the MathLink libraries
aren't fully upgraded to version 6 MathLink, leaving them in an inconsistent
state.  We never discovered this because 5.2 and Player works fine if you have
6.0 installed, and we overlooked the scenario of 5.2+Player on a machine where
version 6 has never been installed.

Our Tech Support department will be posting an FAQ very soon (sorry, I don't
know the URL yet) with an .msi installer file that completely upgrades MathLink,and we'll replacing the online version of Mathematica Player with a fixed
version in the next few days.

In the meantime, the very simplest solution (a bit time consuming, but less
confusing and error-prone than any other solution I could give you) is to...

* Completely uninstall Mathematica Player and 5.2.
* Open a command prompt and change into C:\Windows\SysWOW64.
* Run...
dir ml*
* If you see any of the following files, delete them...

* Now reinstall 5.2.  You can install Player again once the tech support FAQ is
available (which another Wolfram person should post...I'm going to be on a planefor the next several hours, which is why I don't have all of the information

I apologize for the experience.  You can feel free to contact tech support if
you have any continuing problems.

John Fultz
jfultz at
User Interface Group