Re: solver?

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg83282] Re: solver?
  • From: Albert <awnl at arcor.net>
  • Date: Fri, 16 Nov 2007 05:44:53 -0500 (EST)

Claus wrote:
> Hi,
> so far I've been using sometimes the solver in MS excel: There is one
> cell/expression that depends on a bunch of data. This one expression is
> also dependent on two variables. I use the solver in excel to adapt the
> two variables so that the one expression is maximal.
>
> How is that best done with Mathematica?

1) write a function that calculates the value that your dependent cell
did calculate.

2) Use NMaximize or FindMaximum to find the maximum.

See the docpage for NMaximize or FindMaximum for details of their usage.
If you don't know how to define functions in mathematica you should
better invest some time and learn some basics about mathematica.
Mathematica is very powerful but needs some effort to start off...

hth,

albert