Re: Combinatorica documentation: Backtrack[]

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg94278] Re: [mg94226] Combinatorica documentation: Backtrack[]
  • From: Murray Eisenberg <murray at math.umass.edu>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 07:02:17 -0500 (EST)

The actual definition appears (at least for Mathematica 7, and probably
for 6, too) in file:

   AddOns\Packages\Combinatorica\Combinatorica.m

The definition there calls function Solution, defined in the same file.

How the function works is described by its authors, S. Pemmaraju and S.
Skiena, on page 311 of their book "Computational Discrete Mathematics:
Combinatorics and Graph Theory with Mathematica", by  (Cambridge Univ.
Press, 2003).

Hope this is enough to point you to an answer.

Murray Eisenberg                     murray at math.umass.edu
Mathematics & Statistics Dept.
Amherst, MA 01003-9305