Re: Combinatorica documentation: Backtrack[]

  • To: mathgroup at smc.vnet.net
  • Subject: [mg94250] Re: [mg94226] Combinatorica documentation: Backtrack[]
  • From: Andrzej Kozlowski <akoz at mimuw.edu.pl>
  • Date: Tue, 9 Dec 2008 06:56:58 -0500 (EST)

I guess the best explanation is to look at some examples. I have used =

this function quite a few times on this forum, and some of my posts
contain an explanation. Here are just four threads that I found
quickly be searching for my name and Backtrack (there are more but
these should be enough).

http://forums.wolfram.com/mathgroup/archive/1999/Sep/msg00481.html

http://forums.wolfram.com/mathgroup/archive/2001/Jul/msg00362.html

http://forums.wolfram.com/mathgroup/archive/2002/Feb/msg00411.html

http://forums.wolfram.com/mathgroup/archive/2003/Jul/msg00091.html

You might also like to look at this:

http://hilbert.math.hr/arhive/mathgroup/1999/09/0006.html

The real "Mathematica guru" Allan Hayes once wrote functional
replacement for Backtrack, called Backtrack2, which does not really
backtrack but is twice as fast. Unfortunately it has the tendency to
run out of memory on complex problems.

Andrzej Kozlowski

Andrzej